Join New Urban Forestry for the 2016 MLK Day of Service, a day of celebration and service on Monday, January 18th, 2016 in volunteer efforts sponsored by Community Connection in Athens. The kickoff event starts at 8:30 am at East Athens Community Center (400 McKinley Dr.). There will be refreshments, music and t-shirts.
New Urban Forestry owners, staff, and their families will be working at the Henderson Extension Cemetery Site.
A few interesting facts about this site:
- It is known as City Cemetery and was sold in 1897 during the Spanish-American War to the government to create a training base for soldiers. They built an army hospital on the site.
- In 1898 the government sold the land back to Athens, which then dubbed the hospital “The Pest House.” It was a TB hospital.
- Part of the hospital was moved in 1914.
- All that is left are 30 graves, most near-identical with square, concrete headstones. Some of the graves may have been covered up by the H.T. Edwards building.
- The cemetery has also been known at times as Pauper Ground or Poor Burying Ground according to some death certificates.
We look forward to serving alongside you this MLK Day.